We're currently NOT accepting new users. Please see our announcement here for more information.

Best concert?

Announcements and Discussions
toast
Site Founder
Site Founder

Best concert?

Post by toast » Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Theres a worst concert thread so I suppose a best concert one is deserved.

To start off I have to say Sigur Rós in the Olympia in 2005. I had been half interested in picking up tickets based on word of mouth etc and to be honest I was more interested in seeing Amiina their support act. As it happened it went on sale before I knew it and I got stuck with Upper circle tickets. We got in early to get good seats there and it actually gave us an excellent view. People give out about the upper circle but its not too bad.

After a great opening set from Amiina Sigur Rós took to the stage behind a gauze drape as the lights behind them threw huge shadows up on it. They opened with Glósóli which just set me up perfectly. Amazingly dramatic, fantastic sound, the visual aspect of the shadows worked amazingly. If anyone has seen Heima (sigur rós tour film) they know what Im talking about. This was followed by an excellent concert of differing intensity. Some quiet drop a pin songs... some explosive dramatic songs.

However the last song was possibly one of the greatest live moments ever. Popplagid was put on. Half way through the song the gauze curtain was drawn over as a crazy light show behind it alternatively made the band look huge or highlighted Amiinas bows in the background. On top of that crazy visuals were projected on top of the gauze for a sensory overload. Simply stunning. Ive seen them a few times since and Im going to see them twice more this year. Definetly catch them if you can.

ps aftewards I saw Dave Fanning having a smoke outside so I asked him what he thought. "Elbow was better" he says. Screw you Fanning! (ps please mention us on your show)

Rob1000000
Here years
Here years

Re: Best concert?

Post by Rob1000000 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:47 am

Best concert of this year has gotta be the Battles/Rednecks/Chrome Hoof show in Vicar st- purely for Chrome Hoof.

What an AMAZING band. So many things going on, all perfectly orchestrated. Got you moshing, dancing and staring in awe at various different points.

All time best for me would be a toss up between Bright Eyes in Whelans on the Fevers & Mirrors show (glass smashing galore), or Final Fantasy @ Electric Pic last year (words cannot describe...).

toast
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by toast » Mon May 26, 2008 12:17 pm

Chrome Hoof were great alright but I think it went on just a BIT too long. Would have been better as a swift sharp introduction. As it was I found myself getting a little bored towards the end as it all seemed to be a variation of the one thing.

Totally agree with Final Fantasy in Ep. Think that was my 3rd time seeing him and I honestly didnt think there was a way he'd top the 2 Whelans shows. Amazing stuff had all the people I dragged to it converted after 2 songs.

Rob1000000
Here years
Here years

Post by Rob1000000 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:52 pm

I know what you mean about the length of the Hoof show, I was kinda absorbed in the whole thing so I didn't mind, but it really affected the rest of the night- i was wrecked after the first act. Strange choice putting them on as the opener in the first place... but I don't think I've seen a better performance this year.

ticketscan
Here years
Here years

Post by ticketscan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:56 am

The most amazing overall concert I've ever been at has to be Springsteen in Slane in 1985. For pure raw energy and enthusiasm, both from himself and the crowd, it was unbelievable. I've been to loads of others, big and small, that probably had better stage shows/acoustics/lighting etc., but for the overall package I have never seen anything to match it before or since.

gary
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by gary » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:05 am

Zeppelin in London last year.
Best gig by far.

toast
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by toast » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:16 am

ticketscan wrote:The most amazing overall concert I've ever been at has to be Springsteen in Slane in 1985. For pure raw energy and enthusiasm, both from himself and the crowd, it was unbelievable. I've been to loads of others, big and small, that probably had better stage shows/acoustics/lighting etc., but for the overall package I have never seen anything to match it before or since.

What was the atmosphere like there after the riots the year before?

Dermot O Reilly
Here years
Here years

Post by Dermot O Reilly » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Best performance at a festival: In Flames (Wacken 2003) or Ministry (Wacken 2006) really can't make up my mind. 2003 was my first Wacken and it ruled whereas Ministry simply blew everyone away, including Emperor and Satyricon. No mean feat.

Best individual performance, Anathema (TBMC 15th December 1999)

Rubbish venues such as the Village robbed Nile and KMFDM of best individual performance. Can we start a subscription to buy that place, simply to knock it down?? :)

A.Q.S.
Here years
Here years

Post by A.Q.S. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Anathema didn't play in 1999. Or if they did, it's not the gig you're thinking of. ;)

You and date recollections just aren't meant to be, are they?!? :)

pkeegan
Here years
Here years

Post by pkeegan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:59 pm

everytime i think about this i come up with a different answer

todays answer;

nine inch nails in sfx, dublin may '94 (i think)

they were touring the downward spiral album, and the gig was amazing. to see nin in such a small venue was a great experience

A.Q.S.
Here years
Here years

Post by A.Q.S. » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 pm

^ Bastard ^ :cry: ;) :cry:

Rezident
Here years
Here years

Post by Rezident » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Ian Brown at Glastonbury a few years ago. From the opening chords of 'I Wanna be Adored' it was truly fantastic.

Duck
Here years
Here years

Post by Duck » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Hmm, it's not so much a concert more a quiet gig but I saw one of my heros of Jazz, Chris Potter, there a few years back in Limerick in Dolans. Just absolutely incredible, best jazz set I've ever seen and the entire band played incredible tight together. The drummer was just downright superb, and they must've been up for close on two hours. Loved every second of it!

In joint second (and polar opposites) would be Rodrigo Y Gabriellas first gig in Limerick, again Dolans, years and years back. it was a tiny crowd, and everyone just sat there completely enraptured by them, noone would even move during the songs, instead if you went to the bar between songs you stayed till it was over. For some reason it was the most intimate and respectful gig I've been at, just superb. Then in complete contrast was Fatboy Slim in the Point, just as a show it was downright amazing at the time, he DJ'd in the centre of the point on a boxing ring with the most amazing lights show. The boxing ring about halfway through his set then rose up and started revolving like a turntable, just a brilliant piece of showmanship. I think I remember reading at the time it was the most elaborate show they'd put on in the point and something like the biggest lighting display they'd done. Well it showed!

Rust
Here years
Here years

Post by Rust » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Most definitely has to be Bon Jovi.

Put on a brilliant gig in Punchestown last month. And the perfect weather added to the atmosphere.

lugosi
Here years
Here years

Post by lugosi » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Best concert is probably Slint in Tripod, followed closely by At the Drive-in in the TBMC

Leppie
Here years
Here years

Post by Leppie » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 am

The Zutons in the Olympia about 1 year or two ago. They're brilliant.

dereko1969
Here years
Here years

Post by dereko1969 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:36 pm

godspeed you black emperor and sigur ros in tbmc many moons ago - candles all over the place and i went to the gig not knowing much of either band, amazing experience
wilco in whelans - great great sweaty rocking show
sugarcubes and pixies in a club in boston in 88 - got in on my fake id and was blown away by both bands
ryan adams in that place that was part of vicar street (shelter?)
sufjan stevens in the olympia (saw him in the dr hyde gallery and for hipster status should say that was a better gig but i'd be lying) the visuals were amazing and the brass backing band and angel wings just made it into an amazingly special gig
oasis in the tivoli - had all the arrogance and posturing even then but it made for a great show
pet shop boys at the electric picnic - camptastic fun
arcade fire at the electric picnic - the excitement building up before they even came on stage and the whole tent just lifted when they came on and didn't let up until well after they'd finished

Touted
Here years
Here years

Post by Touted » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:24 am

I've had way more good concert experiences then bad ones so this could go on for a while.

First off, U2 at Croker, on the Monday night. I know they'd had technical problems or whatever the previous nights but for me the Monday night gig was perfect. Absolutely brilliant set that seemed to last for hours and hours, and to top it all off they played Running To Stand Still, one of my favourite songs by any artist. Special gig for me.

I'm gonna have to say the recent Muse gig at Marlay Park as well, I missed them at Oxegen (went for QOTSA instead, mistake), so I was looking forward to it. Setlist was a bit short and we didn't get the new songs we were promised but the light show and the performance from the trio was just mind-blowing.

Brian Wilson at Oxegen last year deserves a mention. People always say "Daft Punk or Killers?" for last years Sunday night, sure I went to see Brian Wilson and everyone in the Pet Sounds tent got a treat. Beach Boys classics, sounded so fresh and he's still got the voice. Highlight was when he started singing Row The Boat for some odd reason!

Honourable mentions go to Kings of Leon at the RDS, even though it was cut short, Oasis at Marlay Park 05 and the Point later that year, Bellx1 at the Point, Bloc Party in the Ulster Hall, 05, Arctic Monkeys and the Strokes at Oxegen 06, White Stripes and The Darkness in Belfast in 04 I think it was? Been to a few good ones!

Edit: Jaysus I can't believe I forgot Arcade Fire at the Big Top last year! They were unbelievable!

Leppie
Here years
Here years

Post by Leppie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:09 pm

I agree with QOTSA at Oxegen last year. Disappointing.

physicsisevil
Here years
Here years

Post by physicsisevil » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Arcade Fire at the Olympia last year. Totally amazing night, Neon Bible had been out about 3 days but everyone knew the words, and the encore with Laika for the last song was mindblowing! We met them afterwards and they were absolutely lovely, very down to earth. I'll be telling the grandkids about it for sure :D :D

songforlo
Here years
Here years

Post by songforlo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 pm

My favourite memory of a gig was Royksopp at Electric Picnic (06?) absolutely amazing live, and the build up was incredible.

This year, best gig has to go to Sigur Ros at Electric Picnic. Crystal Castles were great in The Academy but the set was far too short. Soulwax always do a good gig, never disappointed. Crazy P in Sugar Club last week was also a great gig.

Ash_F
Here years
Here years

Post by Ash_F » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:46 am

oh wow so many!!!

em probably 30 Seconds To Mars Jan 08 =) or Enter Shikari Oct 08

Love It!!!

Rhythmicnodding
Here years
Here years

Post by Rhythmicnodding » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Foals lat night were awful good, rolo tommasi were the best support act oi'v eva seen

jackseg
Here years
Here years

Post by jackseg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:23 pm

My best ever concert are:

1. U2 at Madison Square Garden, NY, 11/10/2005
Incredible night with amazing atmosphere. I couldnt belive that was real

2. Pearl Jam at Sazka/O2 Arena in Prague 22/09/2006
Great american style show in the most incredible arena in Europe. Eddie Vedder changed few word in song, and waved for us (me and my friends with 6 m long flag)

3. Placebo, Warsaw, 06/09/2003

:lol:
Last edited by jackseg on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mushy
Here years
Here years

Post by Mushy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 am

Pearl Jam at the Point, 2006. Never seen anything like it, was amazing

QOTSA at Ambassador(1st night), 2008. 2nd date of tour, few days rest, they were in good spirits, crowd was decent, good grooving set rather than just smash the place type one.

Pearl Jam, Werchter 2007. Playing Porch, Once, Baba O' Riley with Jssh Homme singing...nice.

Ac/Dc, O2 Arena, 2009...oh...wait!

lmidbn
Here years
Here years

Post by lmidbn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Wacko Jacko in Cork way back in the day. BAD tour I think it was. Kim Wilde was backup.

Wacko was the biz then.

Josh Ritter in the Olympia earlier this year was excellent too. Those lucky enough to be going 2nite enjoy!.

Popmart
Here years
Here years

Post by Popmart » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:39 pm

Have to agree with some of the posts above

1. U2 Madison Square Garden - October 05 (think it was the Friday). Had a floor ticket & got upgraded to pit. Unreal venue & great to be so close to band. Loads of other great U2 gigs including Slane(1st night)

2. Michael Jackson - RDS 1997 - would give this a vote simply because it was the best show i was at. Still dont know how they did smooth criminal routine, brilliant

3. Radiohead - The Olympia (warm up to big day out in galway), cant remember date but reckon it was 1996???? They played 2 or 3 encores, great gig

Loads more could add to it and do keep changing my mind. So will leave it at that for now :)

iamthe43
Here years
Here years

Post by iamthe43 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:58 am

best concert ive been to???

hands down, metallica in the point in 99

Metallicat
Here years
Here years

Post by Metallicat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:23 pm

no really a concert goer as such but went to see Metallica last year in Marley Park and they simple rocked the place down! I missed Tancious D though becuse it took fooking ages to get in to the ground and after the concert it to mutha-fooking ages to get out of the place, even with all that id still go there to see them again! Does anyone know if they will be touring Death Magnetic in Ireland in 2009?

METALLICA FOOKING ROCK LIKE NONE OTHER!!

Al1978
Here years
Here years

Post by Al1978 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:45 pm

G'N'R - Slane Castle

Nalts
Here years
Here years

Post by Nalts » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Al1978 wrote:G'N'R - Slane Castle
Are you insane or was that the only concert you've ever been to?
they were muck, faith no more blew them off the stage!

Al1978
Here years
Here years

Post by Al1978 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Nalts wrote:
It certainly aint the only concert i've been to and I picked it for more than just what the sound of the band was like! Whats the title of the post again??? Thats my opinion,not lets have a bleedin discussion about other peoples choices, so you may do well to respect peoples opinions in future sunshine before ye mouth off with your 'insane' drivel.

Nalts
Here years
Here years

Post by Nalts » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:10 am

Al1978 wrote:
Nalts wrote:
It certainly aint the only concert i've been to and I picked it for more than just what the sound of the band was like! Whats the title of the post again??? Thats my opinion,not lets have a bleedin discussion about other peoples choices, so you may do well to respect peoples opinions in future sunshine before ye mouth off with your 'insane' drivel.

Get up on yer 'bleedin' high horse all ya want!
What's the name of the 'forum'?

As you've already confused 'post' with 'thread',why don't you look below your user name in the top right corner there....
all done, good lad.

Now if you don't want people to comment on your oh-so-precious opinion,
perhaps you shouldn't really post in fourms with the word 'discussion' in the title.

Don't ya think?

Now go pick up them toys!!! bud.

Al1978
Here years
Here years

Post by Al1978 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:35 am

As you've already confused 'post' with 'thread',why don't you look below your user name in the top right corner there....

Now if you don't want people to comment on your oh-so-precious opinion,
perhaps you shouldn't really post in fourms with the word 'discussion' in the title.

Oooh i mixed up 'post' and 'thread', oh no! how ever will I get over this?? You've too much time on your hands obviously, sad,very sad.
A discussion it is ye say, is it? From the off you've spouted negative comments and assumptions which doesn't really form the basis of a well rounded discussion, which says it all really.

Anywho, GNR Slane,what a day that was.. fantastic gig which sounded pretty good from where I was.

Leppie
Here years
Here years

Post by Leppie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:30 pm

OK, ok, let's not get personal with this. People have differing opinions and they are entitled to it. Jus calm down!

macca270503
Here years
Here years

Post by macca270503 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Has to be Michael Jackson in Cork in 1988. At that time his BAD album was out and he WAS the biggest pop star in the world, and his show lived up to all the hype. Stocktons Wings and Kim Wilde were just there to fill in time, but Jacko was outstanding. All the hits, with the videos to go along with them. he acted out Thriller, Smooth Criminal, Billie Jean. We got all the hits from Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad, and of course the Jackson 5 Medley.And he sold 160,000 tickets for the two days. Those were the days!

taelated
Here years
Here years

Post by taelated » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Well, i'm a young un so i gotta say Bon Iver was simply breathtaking at National Stadium last Dec.....totally captured every1 in the audience...
Also gots ta say MGMT were pretty good at Oxygen...and a certain Bell x1 in malahide in 07 when they were playing same night as the idiot Justin Timberhead..sorry timberlake..
And Paul goes to crowd..'who's bringing sexy back now, mother f**kers' Rawrrrrrrrr

MESHELL
Here years
Here years

Post by MESHELL » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:04 am

LADY GAGA LAST NITE :) SHOULDA BEEN LONGER !! :D

etumed
Here years
Here years

Post by etumed » Wed May 13, 2009 6:34 pm

My best concert :

U2 in Paris 11th July 2005, it was magic...

then, Muse @ Bercy (Paris) in 2006

classicrocker
Here years
Here years

Post by classicrocker » Thu May 14, 2009 4:55 pm

AC/DC at O2 in April 09 exceeded all expectations scintillating hard rock and impressive stage show all the way with a wonderful singalong atmosphere from start to finish. My first visit to the new venue was a pleasant experience and found the staff well organised with customer focussed scanner operated crowd control unlike the heavy handed Tripod experience where they insist on stamping everyone on the back of the hand in a very authoritarian manner which has put me off attending any more gigs there after three bad experieces over the past year

gary
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by gary » Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 pm

classicrocker wrote:AC/DC at O2 in April 09 exceeded all expectations scintillating hard rock and impressive stage show all the way with a wonderful singalong atmosphere from start to finish. My first visit to the new venue was a pleasant experience and found the staff well organised with customer focussed scanner operated crowd control unlike the heavy handed Tripod experience where they insist on stamping everyone on the back of the hand in a very authoritarian manner which has put me off attending any more gigs there after three bad experieces over the past year
Hate to break it to you mate but the majority of clubs and venues in Dublin employ the hand stamp method. I don't see it as a bad thing though, in fact, usually it helps to remind me what I did/where I went the night before :D

pink floyd
Banned User
Banned User

Post by pink floyd » Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Black Sabbath, Munich June 2005.

The original line up back together, brilliant gig.

stevieleddin
Here years
Here years

Post by stevieleddin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:22 pm

muse marley park last year!! OMG!!! :D

chapman0david
Here years
Here years

Post by chapman0david » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Biffy Clyro - Temple Bar Music Centre, Dublin - 10th December 2005
or
Biffy Clyro - Dolan's Warehouse, Limerick - 19th December 2007
or
Pixies - Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh - 28th August 2005

Sburger
Here years
Here years

Post by Sburger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:57 pm

tis only my humble opinion:

In this order:

1. Bruce and the eStreet band (RDS 2003 - first real intro to Bruce - amazing)
2. U2/Moby/Ash (Slane 2001 2nd gig - complimented by Ireland beating Holland that day :D )
3. Coldplay (2005 - Marley Park - Much better than expected)
4. Pogues (Xmas 2007 - What a gig - Sinead O'Connor came on to sing FONY)
5. Bruce and the E Street band (RDS 2008 - Fri or Sat night - Played some classics I'd never heard live)
6. Ocean Colour Scene (1998 first ever gig)
7. RHCP (Slane 2004? - just a plain good gig - poor warm up though)