We're currently NOT accepting new users. Please see our announcement here for more information.

New Minister For Justice

Announcements and Discussions
JJ5000
Here years
Here years

New Minister For Justice

Post by JJ5000 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:45 am

I was just reading this article where it says that Alan Shatter will probably be the new minister for Justice:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 71339.html

I was just looking through his website and found that he was responsible for drawing up this bill:

Prohibition of Ticket Touts Bill 1999
The Prohibition of Ticket Touts Bill 1999 made it illegal for ticket touts to sell tickets for major sporting, musical and theatrical events for a sum in excess of the face value of the ticket. The Second Stage of this Bill was approved by the Dail in March 1999. It failed to get enacted prior to the 2002 General Election as the Fianna Fail/PD Government majority on the Oireachtas Sports and Tourism Committee blocked its progress. Similar legislation has been promoted by Fine Gael in the Dail during the lifetime of the current Government but has continued to be opposed.

(See http://www.alanshatter.ie/?page_id=121)

Since he's FG's spokesperson on Justice and Law Reform and FG are the biggest party, I think it's safe to say he has the job. We'll know soon later today anyway. I'm sure this could be good news for most people on this site.

toast
Site Founder
Site Founder

Re: New Minister For Justice

Post by toast » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Good spot. I talked to Shatter a couple of years ago but I'd completely forgotten about it till you mentioned this. When I talked to him he had lost a lot of interest in the bill mainly because he felt it would be unenforceable due to sales online. I did suggest that he could legislate so companies like Ebay, buyandsell and the other various sites had to ensure all sales were for face value or less which he said could be a possibility but that was the last I heard on it. Ebay are big employers in Ireland so you can be sure that any attempt to legislate part of their business model will get frowned upon but who knows what will happen.
Site Admin.

JJ5000
Here years
Here years

Re: New Minister For Justice

Post by JJ5000 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:48 pm

I'd say TM would be at the front lines of blocking any legislation like the one above as they have their new resell site.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT